Friday, August 5, 2011

Leaving Gran Canaria

Unfortunately I had my flight out already booked, or I would have tried to leave earlier. I must say, being in a tropical paradise just isn't the same by yourself. The hotel was fairly far from the downtown area, and not really lit well so I was a bit nervous to head to town after dark. Plus, it didn't really look like there was too much going on from what I could see from my balcony. Ah well, guess I'm learning all sorts of things on this trip.
The same guy that checked me in was working the desk this morning. And he reminded me I was there alone when he gave me a quizzical look and asked if the room was now empty. Oh, right, you're the one that was here alone.
I must say, it was quite amusing at the airport though....first off, Ryanair is "The low fares airline" which meant I had to print off my boarding pass before getting to the airport (luckily there was an Internet cafe in town cause the hotel couldn't handle it) or risk a 40Euro charge. Imagine charging $60 for a boarding pass?! Anyway, at the bag drop, everyone was weighing their bags because apparently they are sticklers for weight or they charge you another hefty fee. Luckily I had bought a 20 kg checked bag when I bought my ticket so it wasn't a problem.
Fast forward to boarding. Think southwest only without organization. Or maybe there was and I didn't catch it since I don't know what they say on the PA system. This airline actually uses the little baggage check thing to make sure bags will fit. And if you have more than one, they make you consolidate. And make you take stuff out of your bag till it fits in the little thing! It was very funny to watch these harried travelers fighting with their bags and the airline rep trying to get their bags to fit. I actually laughed out loud at what people were doing to stuff their bags in the little checker.
Then, open seating....and since I was near the end of the line, I thought I would be relegated to a center seat, but there was a lovely couple in the 8th row that had an empty window seat! Now I'm watching Africa/Morocco go by out my window. Only an hour and a half till Barcelona and civilization!

No comments:

Post a Comment