Saturday, July 30, 2011

Gran Canaria

My first impression of Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands is that it sucks. Other then the delightful woman at the tourist info booth at the airport, everyone has been quite upsetting and just not nice. After getting my bag I went outside to find the bus to Puerto Rico (no, not the island, the city). After looking for a few minutes I realized that when someone says something is on the first floor, they really mean the second level...ground level is floor 0. So, I went upstairs to catch the bus.
Finally the correct bus came and when I asked the driver which stop I needed his only answer was "puerto rico". Yeah, great, but there are two stops listed! Ah well, I'll figure it out. I kinda did on the map, but not in real life...as we were pulling away from the stop I should have gotten off at I asked the driver if there was a bus that went the other way (cause damn it was a big hill we just went down). His answer was "Puerto Rico". Nice. Thanks for the help, buddy. Plan B. I found the taxi stand very close to the main bus stop and hailed a cab to get to the resort. I had to wait for a cab to come as the one that was sitting at the stand was driverless. I had a woman driver...I think that is the first time ever!  She was fine, although she had to wait before loading my bag...still don't know why...I think it may have had something to do with the abandoned cab at the stand, cause I think she called dispatch to tell them...but I don't understand much yet.
I arrived at the resort and was greeted by a nice set of stairs to get to the reception area. Ugh, 40 pounds up the stairs...then I was checking in and the guy at the front desk gave me funny looks when he asked for "the other passport" and I told him I was here alone. Guess he doesn't get that much. Then he asked for my paper reservation slip. Um, hello, I made the reservation about 36 hours before I flew out of the country. I didn't get it! I had the email confirmation and he tried to tell me I needed to print it out. On what, my hand?! He improvised eventually, after sighing loudly a few times. Really?! I'm the only person that has ever shown up without that stupid slip of paper? You want to conserve resources, stop making me print crap!
Anyway, I made it to the room. Honestly the only good thing is I have a private balcony overlooking a marina. Or if you squint you can see a beach. The rooms are old and outdated. The couch is entirely not comfortable. The kitchen looks like it is older than I am. And there is one a/c vent...in the bedroom...and supposedly the temperature is set automatically. Needless to say, it is pretty hot in here.
And there is no Internet. That is just going to suck. I should have gotten the iPad with 3G. Wonder if it would work here...
I think I need to go find a bottle of wine...it is going to be a long 6 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment